Tuesday 26 July 2022

More Books On Their Way

Right now I'm busy researching and writing about dinosaurs - as well as working on some other little books. 

Schools have finished for summer so I won't be doing school visits for a while - though I am looking forward to getting back on the road in September. Hopefully I'll get chance to get out from behind my desk over the next few weeks - we will certainly be spending a day or two dolphin watching along the coast of Wales. When we do I'll post some pictures here in my diary for you to see. 

Right now I thought I'd share some of the wonderful book covers of the little stories that I have been working on recently. These are retellings of tales from around the world, published by Franklin Watts. Look out for them appearing in you local library over the next few months. These books aren't quite finished yet as the illustrators are still busy working on the artwork - but I think you'll agree, the covers look great. Not only are the stories from around the world, but the wonderful illustrators that have worked on them are from different places around the world too.

The Fire Spirit is an old Korean story (originally called The Great Stone Fire Eater) and it's been illustrated by Gaby Verdooren, an illustrator from Brooklyn, New York.  The Fisherman and the Genie is a tale that was included in the 1001 Arabian Nights and has been illustrated by two sisters from Georgia, Tika and Tata Bobokhidze. I've always wanted to write a story with a genie in and writing this one has given me an idea for another. 

The Boy who Wanted More Cheese
is a story from the Netherlands and it has been wonderfully illustrated by Richard Watson who comes from North Lincolnshire in England. Richard also illustrated my Little Turtle and the Coyote story.  

The final book cover for now is The Glass Mountain. This is an old Polish tale that has been illustrated by Kiki Kita. Kiki is a Japanese and Asian American illustrator that grew up in Dallas, Texas, but now lives in Brooklyn, New York. 

(Hmm! I wonder if she knows Gaby Verdooren?)


No comments: