Thursday 18 June 2015

Working Away from Home

A couple of weeks ago I visited a couple of lovely schools, one in Repton and one in Burton Upon Trent. The schools were great but the view from my hotel wasn't so great....

This week things are different though...
It's ten o'clock in the evening and it's getting dark outside. It's been a beautiful sunny day today and quite warm too. Right now I'm sat on the bed in my hotel room at the University of Northampton. My window is wide open and I can hear birds singing and the gentle rhythm of the rain on the leaves outside. The air smells fresh and clean. A little rabbit has been sat on the grass for the last hour nibbling and enjoying the cool evening.

On the way down here I drove through the beautiful little village of Naseby and I couldn't resist stopping off to take a look at the Cromwell Monument that stands on the Naseby Battlefield.

The Battle of Naseby, probably the most important battle of the English Civil War was fought on the 14th June 1645 between the Parliamentarian New Model Army commanded by Sir Thomas Fairfax and Sir Oliver Cromwell and the Royalist Army of King Charles I and Prince Rupert of the Rhine. The Royalist army were defeated and most of the King's army was lost.

It looks peaceful here now and it's hard to imagine that such a huge battle took place here. You can find out more about the Battle of Naseby by clicking HERE.
Think it's time to close the window and get some sleep... got a busy day tomorrow.

No comments: